Sunday, 11 October 2015

Where to place the point of interest...


My example is this simple landscape with a house in the distance.

Firstly, the house shows up because it is set against a dark background...
remember:  Light against Dark and Dark against Light always has impact.

But moving on to the point of this post...

Never place the main subject in the Middle of a painting
Always put it slightly off centre, it's far more interesting to the viewer -



 Work with the One-third Rule



If I flip this painting you will see that you could have the point of interest on the right
and it works just as easily because it is in the one-third section of the painting.



11 comments:

  1. Love these tips! Is there a good book on this that you would recommend? I also see this stuff in photography tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I haven't got a specific book to suggest unfortunately. Personally, I picked up tips over the years I've been painting and drawing. Following some well known artists of your choice who have added to Youtube can be a huge help because you see them painting at the time, which helps explain things. If I come across a particularly helpful book though, I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann :) Very interesting! Thank you for sharing your artistic experiences with all us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Ann just wonderful tips. Thank you for sharing. Hope you are having a delightful week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete